list all available services with ListServices, not only already activated

Marcin Krzyzanowski krzak at hakore.com
Tue Nov 9 01:19:41 PST 2004

Użytkownik Havoc Pennington napisał:
> On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 12:55 +0100, Marcin Krzyzanowski wrote:
>
>>In my project I need to get list all available services, not only
>>already activated but also which are waiting to be activated when
>>necessary.
>

> Can you briefly describe your project, just to improve everyone's
> understanding of how dbus is being used and what this feature would be
> for?

If it's not necessary I would wait with announce until we get it with
functionality which we want to get. This feature is to activate various
services to handle features on request. It's really useful to have this
information about services in bus.

>>org.freedesktop.DBus.ListServices() show only activated service, because
>>I get no other possibility to gather information about services which
>>are available but not activated at the moment I wrote a patch for
>>"ListServices" which make return list with both activated and not yet
>>activated services.
>>
>>What do you think about such solution. Or maybe there is other way to
>>get all available services but I miss it ?
>

> I think a better approach would introduce a new call
> ListActivatableServices(), because listing only active services is also
> a useful thing to do - so keeping the existing ListServices() is
> important.

hm.... hmm.... is there is a chance for such implementation ? I can try
to prepare patch.

--
Marcin Krzyżanowski