[patch] generate marshallers and metadata from dbus-glib-tool

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Nov 19 07:10:00 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 15:32 -0500, Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
>  * Stop sorting the parameter list based on argument direction.
>  * First "parameter" is the return value.  If it returns void, type it
>    DBUS_TYPE_NIL.

I think the ordering sensitivity should be kept on the binding level
(dbus-glib) rather than in dbus; the ordering stuff would just be to
adapt to non-native-dbus functions basically.

The default if there's no override I would say should be:
 - there are never out params as C function return values,
   the C function always returns bool for error/no-error
 - out params are always after all in params
 - there are no inout params
These are native dbus semantics. So if we autogenerate a C function it
would look like this.

However, we might want a facility on the server side to take an existing
C function that doesn't follow these rules and expose it via dbus.