Signals vs Calls

wink saville wink at saville.com
Mon Oct 25 09:24:25 PDT 2004

Yes, when I said sync/async I was referring to blocking of Calls. I see, so
signals are "broadcasts", I missed that.

If I have a Method with a void return type, no "out" parameters and set
NO_REPLY_EXPECTED in header.flags there still may be a return message?

You indicate that the use cases D-BUS is targeting "systemwide bus and
per-session desktop bus", but in the specification it says it works over
TCP/IP so the definition of "desktop/systemwide" includes LAN's at least.
But with the use cases you've mentioned it would imply to me that it wasn't
intended to be "optimal" for that use, although it does work. Is that a fair
statement?

Also the D-BUS programming model is an RPC with blocking symantecs, is this
correct? Although blocking is optional the programming model and the
implementation seems to be based on a typical method call.

Wink