Best option to send file descriptors over dbus?

Carlos Perello Marin carlos at pemas.net
Sun Oct 31 19:28:25 PST 2004

Hi, I'm working on a client/server implementation using D-BUS as the IPC
and I need a way to send file descriptors over D-BUS.

This feature is supported with unix sockets so I suppose it's a matter
of implement an API around it so D-BUS can handle it without major
problems.

My first thoughts about it is to add a new type to DBusMessage that
stores a file descriptor and then, inside the unix transport send it as
cmsg man page (cmsg(3)) specifies, the transports that cannot work with
that kind of data could just ignore that part of the message.

Does it makes sense?

With this mail I just want to know if a patch done as I'm suggesting
will be accepted into D-BUS so I don't waste my time. If you don't agree
with it, any suggestion to get this functionality is welcomed.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Ubuntu Warty (PowerPC)  => http://www.ubuntulinux.org