dbus remotely usable?

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Sep 24 12:47:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 09:15, Stephan Stapel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm rather new to this list so I apologize for asking the question for the
> x time. I've searched the archive but didn't find no suitable solution.
>
> What I'd like to know is whether it's possible to remotely (i.e. from
> other machines) call dbus services.

No, DBUS is optimized to be a local bus.  You can however write relays
that will relay messages from one bus to another.  That would be a
separate layer that needs to think about remote security issues.

> Another question is whether dbus would work on win32? Did anyone
> successfully compile and run it there?

I don't think there has been any effort though I could be wrong.  It
wouldn't be that hard as all the platform specific code are in one
header and source file dbus/sbus-sysdeps.(c|h).

--
J5