DConf configuration system

Buola Buola buola69 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 07:53:53 PDT 2005

I have been reading almost every post about the someday-will-be
desktop configuration system and it seems that almost everything has
been talked about and some things agreed and some not.
Has someone started working in actually doing something about it?
A lot of other freedesktop projects have already been working for some
time and they have had some acceptance, so... why not start the DConf
project and expect it to be accepted?
After all the reading, I think these should be the features of the system:
- Notification of changes
- Support for system defaults and some more selectable defaults for
different types of users, which stack one on top of other
- Undo/redo feature
- Several backends
- Transaction concept, which ensures integrity at all moments
- Something else?

Proposed way to implement it
- Central daemon which has the backends as plug-ins. Clients can
connect to it using a DBus API (there will have to be bindings for
different languages and desktops, as there is for DBus, but it hasn't
been a problem so far). The daemon will provide the change
notification, the undo/redo thing and the transaction support.
- The configuration data has a filesystem-like look, with folders
which contain keys and values (maybe supporting values of the DBus
types). Every folder will be a DBus object, implementing some
interface to access the values and keys.
- The different backends will be "mounted" somewhere into this
filesystem, so for example you could have a GConf backend mounted at /
and then some other systems mounted on it.
- IMHO, every backend should implement the support for default values,
as the storage will be different for different backends, but there
must be some common interface to modify these defaults. This needs
more work.
- Ideas?

I am already developing some similar system which is working quite
well, but I need to see a bit more what are the real needs of the
different desktops.

Thanks for your time,

     Xavi