unable to start dbus-daemon

Edwin Schepers yez at home.nl
Fri Apr 8 15:57:08 PDT 2005

Hi,
I'm trying to use a newer version of dbus/hal because I want HAL 0.5.0.
So I removed the installed rpm's of dbus and HAL version 0.4.7 on my FC3.

Then I compiled dbus 0.32 and hal 0.5.0

From documentation, I read that I start dbus with 'dbus-daemon --system'
When I do this, dbus-daemon is not started. I get no information whatsoever
about what's wrong. I start it being root.
The second time, I get the message :
[root at localhost ~]# dbus-daemon --system
Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/usr/local/var/run/messagebus.pid"
exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file
meaning for me that _something_ has happened.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks,
Edwin