new java binding

Seth Nickell seth at gnome.org
Sat Apr 16 18:49:39 PDT 2005

> So e.g. you don't need to expose all the watch/timeout stuff, that's
> just "main loop glue"; in Java the normal thing is threads rather than
> main loop, so I'd just use threads.
>
> You don't need to expose the Message stuff, since that is intended to
> map to methods and listeners.
>
> So basically the bindings you have so far should be private to the
> package. The public Java API would be something different built on top.

The python bindings have both a "low level" and a python-y high level
version (which afaict everyone uses). You might also look at the mono
bindings for inspiration. Its good to make the bindings avail of
relevant features of the language (e..g. I think the mono bindings use
delegates)..... But everywhere else its probably helpful if there aren't
artbitray api differences between high level language bindings.

-Seth