Problem sending message from Python

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 09:51:47 PDT 2005

In <1114440303.6761.6.camel at remedyz.boston.redhat.com>, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> Python right now only understands int32 since it is an untyped language.

[Snip]

> The other option is for
> Rox to switch to just using int32 for now if it really doesn't need the
> uint.  I have no idea why this worked in the 0.2x series.

The component of ROX that receives the message is written in C, but that
is trying to read DBUS_TYPE_INT32 anyway. The capplet sending the
message is pure Python and has no control over the type, because it just
calls rox_settings.SetInt(self.name, self.int_value) where rox_settings
is a dbus object. I've tried the int cast operator on int_value, but
that doesn't help.

I don't see how the problem can be anywhere else but in the dbus
library. MessageIter.append_int32 has changed between the two APIs.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk