RequestName default flags

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 14:38:54 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 00:02 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> For the KDE bindings I think I should be using
> DBUS_NAME_FLAG_PROHIBIT_REPLACEMENT in order to get DCOP compatible behavior.

Right, which seems like a better default...

> The description for DBUS_REQUEST_NAME_REPLY_IN_QUEUE on
> http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#message-bus-names is
> wrong btw, it says
>
> "The name already had an owner, DBUS_NAME_FLAG_REPLACE_EXISTING was not
> specified, and the current owner specified
> DBUS_NAME_FLAG_PROHIBIT_REPLACEMENT."
>
> but it should say
>
> "The name already had an owner, DBUS_NAME_FLAG_REPLACE_EXISTING was
> specified, and the current owner specified
> DBUS_NAME_FLAG_PROHIBIT_REPLACEMENT."

Yikes. This is clearly all too confusing.

> Would it be possible to allow a dash '-' in busnames btw?

Sure, right now all the names are very restrictive in allowed
characters, I was trying to make names be valid identifiers in pretty
much every programming language.

Probably no reason to do this for bus names though, only for
methods/interfaces. I only did it for bus names so we could make things
simple and say "rules for bus names are the same as rules for everything
else"

So should the restrictions be, "same rules as interfaces but you can
have hyphen" or ... ?