dbus_message_get_args suggestion

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Aug 6 05:45:53 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 10:45 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> I kind of like the idea but being that get_args is used in a lot of apps
> I don't know if it is prudent at this point.  Of course we are not at
> 1.0 yet so...  It is a tough call and people would scream if the change
> went in.  I don't know if it is worth the trouble.  Havoc, what are your
> thoughts?

I think it makes sense but "fixed" arrays (array of int etc.) should
probably continue to be returned as they currently are.

> The other option is to create new types i.e. DBUS_TYPE_FOO_ITER and
> deprecate the use of DBUS_TYPE_FOO for complex types.  In any case I
> like having a separate type for iters because it tells you what it is
> returning (and lets us know the programmer know what is going to happen
> so if they do send in a type that is not supported we can return an
> error).

This is kind of ugly imo though, since DBUS_TYPE_* right now are all
straight from the protocol. Maybe some kind of flag that gets |'d in,
like DBUS_TYPE_INT32 | DBUS_GET_AS_ITER ?