Disconnected on every attempt to reply

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 01:04:49 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 16:24 +0200, P. Durante wrote:

> here you see, I get the message, craft a reply ( using nothing more
> than dbus_message_new_return_message(original_message); ) and send it
> back over the same connection I read it from, and after
> dbus_connection_send, BANG! I'm out..
> I can't recompile dbus with more verbosity since, if I do, neither
> HAL, nor the dbus-utils won't work anymore (don't know why, seems the
> ubuntu version was built with some arcane settings I can't figure
> out), so my question is, what are the possible reasons for getting
> disconnected ?

Normally disconnection is done when the bus decides you are looking
"malicious" by sending things that are not well-formed.

We try to instead have libdbus print a warning when you do this, so it's
easier to debug, but the warning-printing code isn't as rigorous as the
bus's validation code.

Typical ways to send a not-well-formed message are to break the naming
rules for methods/interfaces/paths/etc. or to omit a required message
field. Another possibility is a bug in libdbus.

You get kicked off rather than an error for security paranoia reasons.

If you figure out what the problem is we can add a warning on the client
side to help future programmers.