thoughts on conversations

Ole Laursen olau at hardworking.dk
Wed Aug 10 21:49:43 EST 2005

Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> writes:

> i.e. the server wants to keep a list of clients, send things out to all
> clients, send things to a specific client, be notified when a client
> vanishes, and track attributes of each client, something like that.
>
> Thought: maybe the API is around a "client list," i.e. server side API
> for add client to list, remove client from list, signal clients, list
> clients, ...

Such a list would be help with flexible multicasting. For my
application, I would prefer a client id object that can be embedded in
my application-specific list of clients, though. It seems simpler than
using properties or having to maintain two lists and provide a mapping
between them.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/