Pure Python DBus implementation

Jakub Piotr Cłapa jpc at pld-linux.org
Fri Aug 12 20:39:59 EST 2005

Ross Burton wrote:

>>>But any system using dbus will have these loaded into shared memory
>>>anyway.
>>
>>Good point but I rather thought about Windows and other platforms.
>>You can tell me that porting C code is easy but it's really hard as hell
>>compared to porting Python code. ;]
>
> Again, a moot point.  John's argument was that for any system to be
> using DBus, even Windows systems, they must be running the daemon which
> depends on the library.  Unless of course you are also going to write a
> pure-python daemon implementation.

DBus can also be used in a peer-to-peer mode and can use TCP/IP sockets
instead of UNIX domain. Writing a messagebus in Python would also be an
interesting idea but I'm not planing to do this anytime soon.

But you're right, it's not that important. The only thing I see in my
implementation that's IMHO better than the current bindings is that it
is much simpler. Of course it doesn't have many features but still it
would be even after adding them.

Maybe it's just a mater of personal liking -- I prefer pure Python over
wrapping C libraries when it is reasonable (mostly from the performance
point of view).

I don't argue this should be the way to go and that the bindings should
be depreciated so if you don't like the idea I will simply use it in my
project (because it works and the bindings currently don't) and when I
finish it I could think about working on the bindings.

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa