"Unable to determine the address of the message bus"

Tomek Jarzynka tomee at kadu.net
Sat Dec 10 04:34:01 PST 2005

Hi,

I've installed KDE 3.5 and wanted to use the new automatic
media manager, so I installed hal along with DBUS. Unfortunately,
only the first event is reported (ie inserting a pendrive).
Further events are not.

I've tried versions 0.23, 0.50 and 0.60 of DBUS with appropriate
versions of HAL (0.2x(?), 0.5.4, 0.5.5.1) with no luck.

There are no errors in the syslog, both daemons are running,
but when I try to run dbus-monitor I get:

Failed to open connection to session message bus: Unable to determine the
address of the message bus.

I don't know if this is the cause of HAL not reporting anything,
but that's currently the only thing that comes to my mind.

How do I fix this, and/or further debug DBUS and HAL?

This is a gentoo with kernel 2.6.14.3 (didn't work with 2.6.12.1
either).

Thanks in advance

--
tomasz k. jarzynka / 601 706 601 / tomee(a-t)kadu(d-o-t)net

"Unix, BASIC, C, PASCAL, APL, ADA, and PROFANITY spoken here."