dbus Digest, Vol 12, Issue 1

Corey Brenner coreybrenner at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 15:12:35 PST 2005

--- dbus-request at lists.freedesktop.org wrote:
> We need to know the use case. If it's per-homedir
> you can do one set of things, if it's a "command
> line session" you can do another. When do you use
> the "command line session" bus vs. the regular
> session bus? Those are the kind of questions I
> don't know how to answer without a specific app
> in mind.
>
> Havoc

I've thought about this independently for some time,
and I think the arrangement should be thus:

System Bus:
   Apps (from any user, with ACLs or whatever, etc.)
   may connect to this system bus, and register for
   events (/foo/bar has changed state, etc.).  This
   could also allow for something like /bin/login to
   query the system bus for a standard user environ,
   and other configuration (obviating the wacky
   stuff in /etc for each shell, bringing them all
   under one config management.)  This allows
bus-aware
   login shells to be notified when the system's
   config has been changed, or when it's time to shut
   down for maintenance (obviating part of "lsof"), or
   whatever.

User Bus:
   All bus-aware apps on a given host may hook into
   this bus.  Traffic may be exported to other
machines
   by SSH-forwarding, etc., but the real point is to
   have a central point for user-global
configurations,
   which may be instantly realized in all the user's
   sessions.

Session Bus:
   A special application of the User Bus, which may
   ride atop it by specifying a session ID to which
all
   session-aware apps on the local host (or, if the
   bus has a router listening, session-aware apps on
   a different host) pay heed.  Making the Session Bus
   ride atop the User Bus allows a user to have many
   concurrent "sessions", which all heed the User Bus'
   global messages, but which communicate with each
   other by specifying a session ID on the User Bus.

--Corey