totally rewritten glib bindings

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Feb 17 09:42:54 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 11:59 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 11:35 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
>>
>> But do you think the current patch (or one of the previous iterations
>> you reviewed more closely) could go in?  It's getting a bit unwieldy,
>> and I'd like to start working on annotations and such.
>>

>Yes, just commit and post the exact patch you committed; then it's not
>bottlenecking on me. Then further changes will be manageable to look at.

Ok, I committed basically the exact patch I posted yesterday, except
that I'd forgotten to include dbus-gobject.h in that.

Here is the ChangeLog:

2005-02-17  Colin Walters  <walters at verbum.org>

	This patch is based on initial work from
	Paul Kuliniewicz <kuliniew at purdue.edu>.

	* glib/dbus-gvalue.c (dbus_gvalue_init): New function; move
	initialization of GValue from dbus type to here.
	(dbus_gvalue_genmarshal_name_from_type): New function; generates a string
	for the "glib-genmarshal" program from a DBus type.
	(dbus_gvalue_binding_type_from_type): New function; turns a DBus type
	into the C name for it we use in the glib bindings.
	(dbus_gvalue_ctype_from_type): New function; maps a DBus type into a
	glib C type (not GValue).
	(dbus_gvalue_demarshal): invoke dbus_gvalue_init.

	* glib/dbus-gutils.c (_dbus_gutils_wincaps_to_uscore): Moved here
	from dbus-gobject.c.

	* glib/dbus-gutils.h: Prototype it.

	* glib/dbus-gproxy.c: Include new dbus-gobject.h.
	(marshal_dbus_message_to_g_marshaller): Use new shared function
	dbus_glib_marshal_dbus_message_to_gvalue_array.

	* glib/dbus-gparser.c (parse_interface, parse_method): Handle c_name attribute.
	Will be changed once we have annotations.

	* glib/dbus-gobject.c: Change info_hash_mutex from GStaticMutex to
	GStaticRWLock.  Callers updated.
	(wincaps_to_uscore): Move to dbus-gutils.c.  Callers updated.
	(string_table_next): New function for iterating over zero-terminated
	string value array.
	(string_table_lookup): New function; retrieves specific entry in
	array.
	(get_method_data): New function; look up method data in object data chunk.
	(object_error_domain_prefix_from_object_info)
	(object_error_code_from_object_info): New functions, but not implemented yet.
	(method_interface_from_object_info): New function; retrieve interface name.
	(method_name_from_object_info): New function; retrieve method name.
	(method_arg_info_from_object_info): New function; retrieve argument data.
	(arg_iterate): New function; iterates over serialized argument data.
	(method_dir_signature_from_object_info): New function; returns a
	GString holding type signature for arguments for just one
	direction (input or output).
	(method_input_signature_from_object_info)
	(method_output_signature_from_object_info): New functions.
	(dbus_glib_marshal_dbus_message_to_gvalue_array): New shared function;
	converts dbus message arguments into a GValue array.  Used for both
	signal handling and method invocation.
	(struct DBusGlibWriteIterfaceData): New utility structure.
	(write_interface): New function; generate introspection XML for
	an interface.
	(introspect_interfaces): New function; gathers all interface->methods,
	generates introspection XML for them.
	(handle_introspect): Invoke introspect_interfaces.
	(get_object_property): Be sure to zero-initalize stack-allocated GValue.
	(lookup_object_and_method): New function; examines an incoming message
	and attempts to match it up (via interface, method name, and argument
	signature) with a known object and method.
	(gerror_domaincode_to_dbus_error_name): New function; converts a
	GError domain and code into a DBus error name.  Needs GError data
	added to object introspection to work well.
	(gerror_to_dbus_error_message): Creates a DBusMessage error return from
	GError.
	(invoke_object_method): New function to invoke an object method
	looked up via lookup_object_and_method.  Parses the incoming
	message, turns it into a GValue array, then invokes the marshaller
	specified in the DBusGMethodInfo.  Creates a new message with
	either return values or error message as appropriate.
	(gobject_message_function): Invoke lookup_object_and_method and
	invoke_object_method.

	* glib/dbus-glib-tool.c: Include dbus-binding-tool-glib.h.
	(enum DBusBindingOutputMode): New enum for binding output modes.
	(pretty_print): Print binding names.
	(dbus_binding_tool_error_quark): GError bits.
	(version): Fix typo.
	(main): Create GIOChannel for output.  Parse new --mode argument,
	possible values are "pretty-print", "glib-server", "glib-client".
	Use mode to invoke appropriate function.

	* glib/dbus-gobject.h: Prototype dbus_glib_marshal_dbus_message_to_gvalue_array.

	* glib/dbus-glib-tool.h: New header, just includes GError bits
	for now.

	* glib/dbus-gidl.c (struct InterfaceInfo): Add bindings hashtable;
	maps binding style to name.
	(struct MethodInfo): Ditto.
	(get_hash_keys, get_hash_key): Utility function, returns keys for
	a GHashTable.
	(interface_info_new, method_info_new): Initialize bindings.
	(interface_info_unref, method_info_unref): Destroy bindings.
	(method_info_get_binding_names, method_info_get_binding_name)
	(interface_info_get_binding_names, interface_info_get_binding_name):
	Functions for retrieving binding names.
	(method_info_set_binding_name, interface_info_set_binding_name):
	Functions for setting binding names.

	* glib/dbus-binding-tool-glib.h: New file, has prototypes
	for glib binding generation.

	* glib/dbus-binding-tool-glib.c: New file, implements server-side
	and client-side glib glue generation.

	* glib/Makefile.am (dbus_binding_tool_SOURCES): Add
	dbus-binding-tool-glib.c, dbus-binding-tool-glib.h,
	dbus-glib-tool.h.

	* dbus/dbus-glib.h (struct DBusGMethodMarshaller): Remove in favor
	of using GClosureMarshal directly.
	(struct DBusGObjectInfo): Add n_infos member.

	* test/glib/test-service-glib.xml: New file; contains introspection data
	for MyTestObject used in test-service-glib.c.

	* test/glib/test-service-glib.c (enum MyObjectError): New GError enum.
	(my_object_do_nothing, my_object_increment, my_object_throw_error)
	(my_object_uppercase, my_object_many_args): New test methods.
	(main): Use dbus_g_object_class_install_info to include generated object
	info.

	* test/glib/Makefile.am: Generate server-side glue for test-service-glib.c,
	as well as client-side bindings.

	* test/glib/test-dbus-glib.c: Include test-service-glib-bindings.h.
	(main): Activate TestSuiteGLibService; test invoke a bunch of its methods
	using both the dbus_gproxy stuff directly as well as the generated bindings.