Unable to connect to the daemon

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Feb 17 18:21:20 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 17:08 +0530, Raj wrote:
>Hi,
>
>i'm a newbie to D-BUS. I was trying to build & run a program
>which connects to the D-BUS per-session daemon & sends a message.
>Another program reads the message.
>
>But for some reason the program fails with the following error
>" Failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon: Message did not receive a
>   reply"

Hmm.  Are you sure that the daemon is actually running?  My guess is
that the daemon died because of some weirdness in your session.conf (in
particular having two <listen> directives looks wrong).

For what it's worth, I don't use a custom .conf file.  Instead I do
debugging like this:

In one terminal, run:

DBUS_VERBOSE=1 dbus-daemon --session --print-address

That will print an address like this (along with other debug goo):

unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-hBeFb6bmsV

Then in another terminal, do:

export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-hBeFb6bmsV

Now just run your test service:

./service # or whatever

In another terminal, I do the same export, then run the test clients.