code generator in makefiles

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat Feb 19 13:13:37 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 14:15 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>Hi,
>
>glib-genmarshal is really hard to use in Makefile.am; in fact I usually
>give up (see glib/Makefile.am)

Eeek :)

>Would it work if dbus-binding-tool checked source-target timestamp
>*inside dbus-binding-tool*, so you would just unconditionally run dbus-
>binding-tool in all-local or something and it would do the right thing?

I had a quicky try at this, but I don't think it's really worth it in
the end.  The problem is that you still need to use the BUILT_SOURCES
variable to tell Automake what files you're generating, and worse you
still need individual targets specified in the Makefile.am in general I
think.  So you just don't save much.  Unless I did something wrong here.

Personally I never had a problem really copying and pasting the automake
goo.

>Related topic, we need a way to get at dbus-binding-tool as a pkgconfig
>variable as for glib-genmarshal

Ok, I tried this, I have a feeling I must be missing something though:

walters at nexus> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/scratch/build/dbus/lib/pkgconfig pkg-config --variable=dbus_binding_tool dbus-1
dbus-binding-tool
walters at nexus> dbus-binding-tool
zsh: command not found: dbus-binding-tool
walters at nexus>

But it looks like glib does the same thing in their .pc.in with
glib-genmarshal, so maybe it's required for you to set $PATH as well (in
which case I wonder what the value is in this whole variable thing?)

This patch is probably worth applying since it includes some general cleanups.