DBUS release

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Feb 22 15:26:59 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:31:03 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Do we need to bump the sonames though?  We're still pre-1.0 so API/ABI
> breakage should be expected...

Please do. A soname is a totally artificial construct, it doesn't matter
if DBUS 1.0 ships with libdbus.so.11

The key point is to fail cleanly - if apps are being accidentally linked
against an incompatible version of DBUS then we want them to break in a
predictable and easy to debug manner, not trashing their stack due to a
struct size change and crashing yards away from the original problem.

While people are running around with old DBUS installations it makes the
most sense to do.

thanks -mike