Kobject_Uevent and DBUS

Kay Sievers kay.sievers@vrfy.org
Sun Jan 9 12:30:55 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 21:10 +0100, Ikke wrote:
> If I add a uevent into the kernel, that tells userspace process XYZ pid
> 123 was killed because of an OOM, how does that fit into HAL?

Yes, that doesn't fit into the current HAL. But think of advanced error
propagation from the kernel up to userspace, with all the fancy things
like binary firmware dumps, unified error codes/messages, ...
That all fit's nicely into HAL and messages like this may find it's
place in HAL or some counterpart sometimes.

I'm just against broadcasting arbitrary kernel data without a real
context to userspace applications.
As an example you get all the hotplug events over netlink at the time
sysfs is completely empty for that device and the event is more or less
useless without the node name udev has created. So you just use HAL to
get a sane event at the time the node is created and the device is ready
to use.

> Similar things: a module was (un)loaded from/into the kernel

You get hotplug events for this.

>  user requested ACPI Suspend / swsusp (which can be usefull events for
> userland/desktop applications: close connections nicely (IM, IRC,...)
> and reconnect on resume),...

The power management stuff is on the way into HAL.

Kay