Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman@gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 04:21:55 PST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:37:13 +0000, Jamie McCracken
<jamiemcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> <moving this to dbus/xdg lists>
> To sum up, profiles (as in Bluetooth Profiles) allow you to define a
> common interface with methods and events which would be publically
> documented.

Probably I'm missing something, but how is this different from well
defined, standard services? You would have a specification of an
service (what interfaces it should implement, parameters and so on
with guidelines to create a program to offer that service),
preferrably sanctioned and maintained by some group of people who do
stuff like that ;)

In fact, I'm working on just a thing like this which I'll bring to XDG
once I get the proof-of-concept work done.

If the additional abstraction is needed, perhaps the service in
question could use some optimizing love...

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh@iki.fi