Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Sean Middleditch elanthis@awesomeplay.com
Fri Jan 14 06:14:52 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 11:37 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> <moving this to dbus/xdg lists>
>
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > As Mike Hearn says, I think what you described is simply what the D-BUS
> > session bus is for. There's no need that I see for an additional DAL. If
> > D-BUS doesn't do this as-is we need to change D-BUS so it does. This is
> > the whole point of D-BUS.
> >

> So would you consider adding profile support to Dbus?

That isn't necessary.  It's  just part of you specifying things.
Instead of having each mail client implement its own MyClient.Foo
services, write up a document specifying the official
org.freedesktop.mailclient interface, and any compliant email apps would
implement that.  You can then lookup instances implementing the
interface, use service activation on it, etc.  No D-BUS code changes are
necessary.