Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Tim Rue 3seasdbus@threeseas.net
Sat Jan 15 14:57:13 PST 2005

Tried to catch up on this thread, but not sure I have.

But I want to say that dbus should be kept simple as reasonable possible that it
might then become a standard and open/versatile IPC mechanisim/message system.

The sort of things people seem to be wanting in greater complexity can very well
be handled thru another application that also interfaces with dbus, but
provides the additional constraints or whatever the future may hold.

I think it'd be a major enough step to simply establish an IPC standard in cross
application messaging. And then let some other programs battle it out for
further traffic policing...

I do wonder if dbus might be heading towards a complexity beast itself, trying
to handle more than it should.

BTW, AROS www.aros.org now has a dbus interface for hosted on linux/freebsd
versions. I'd prefer dbus not get over complicated, as its now probably more
complicated then arexx/IPC ports on Amiga/AROS..

Build the road, then figure out the traffic lights and traffic cops as needed in
 use... for your system and don't impose on others on their system, for their
traffic may be of a different nature.
--
Tim Rue (3seasdbus)