Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Waldo Bastian bastian@kde.org
Wed Jan 19 10:08:01 PST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 17:56, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> As soon as someone explains how an application (rather than an object
> instance) can implement an interface, then I'm happy to listen.

I think if (iff?) you extend an interface with an (implicit?) fixed object
path you can safely say that a certain application "implements that
interface" meaning that the application "implements an object with the fixed
object path that implements the interface".

Then, if needed, you can put a factory in that interface that creates distinct
objects and gives you the object path back. Such objects have an interface of
their own of course although there is a certain relation there. If the
objects have "interface foo" then the application has a "interface that can
generate objects with interface foo".

I guess it's a question whether you want to include the object creation step
as part of the service activation concept or not. Do you consider the
application to be the service or the object?

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download