Shall I submit a tutorial patch to describe why D-BUS vs. CORBA, vs. DCE, etc?

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
Fri Jan 21 12:45:55 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 13:43 -0500, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> I think it's CRITICAL that somewhere someone write up
> "Why use D-BUS instead of CORBA? instead of DCE?" etc.
> The intro of the tutorial gives a little start, but more is needed
> if anyone else will use it.

I'm not _really_ interested in evangelism. If people don't "get" why
it's a fit for the use-cases or see the value of its attributes, then
"IPC system marketshare" isn't something I want to fight with them for.
I don't care what people use, in short, only that we address the
specific things we are trying to do with GNOME/KDE/Linux.

> I posted to the (wedged) mailing list a start on such text.
> Would you like me to submit a patch against the D-BUS tutorial
> to add an appendix with such info?

Patches are certainly welcome for all of these suggestions. I think the
intro material in spec/tutorial (the three major properties of dbus, the
two target use-cases) pretty well contrasts with CORBA though. Having a
section on it sort of encourages lots of list posts about how CORBA
rules or something, and I just don't care...