D-BUS spec - comments on wire protocol

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
Sat Jan 22 13:27:38 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 13:24 +0000, Robert Wittams wrote:
> It would be a shame if D-Bus precluded the use of these. If some
> standardized support for streams were included, would it be possible to
> have them implemented as fd passing on the unix domain socket transport?

It's probably possible, but I've thought about it a bit and I can't come
up with a good way to do it. That implementation of streams would also
not work if we had a tunnel-through-X transport, or on Win32.

I think a better approach may be to just define some specific interfaces
an object can implement, and then that object will be a stream object.