Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Waldo Bastian bastian@suse.com
Mon Jan 17 05:07:34 PST 2005

On Sunday 16 January 2005 16:56, Ikke wrote:
> > It depends - Gnome will obviously want to ultimately integrate it into
> > their GObjects and KDE likewise with their own objects so desktop
> > neutrality will end here (we have to draw a line somewhere).
>
> You got a point here :-) Then it's a very good thing to have the
> auto-code-creation based on XML descriptors done, so we can write both
> GObject and Qt (dunno what their GObject equivalent is, I'm no KDE/Qt
> dev) generators :-)

You can take a look at what we do with dcopidl in kdelibs/dcop. We use that to
generate code for DCOP in KDE, for DBUS we would be using something very
similar.

In KDE we start with a C++ header file and tag the functions that we want to
export via DCOP, from that we generate an IDL file that describes the
exported interface and then from the IDL file we can generate code for
handling the call (skeleton) and/or code for making the calls (stubs)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download