[patch] remove DBusGPendingCall

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Jul 6 10:58:22 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 13:42 -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I do return an opaque pointer; the client code never knows it doesn't
> > point to allocated memory.  This way there's no need to define a
> > structure, allocate it, etc.  Converting the DBusGProxyCall * pointer
> > into a guint will be a very cheap operation, just a few processor cycles
> > at most I imagine if any.  If we get to that level of optimization I
> > will be very happy :)
>
> You're using the index as a key into a hash table to retrieve a
> pointer, yea? I guess my point is, why have the hash table at all?
> Why not just return the pointer in the first place?  What's the
> advantage of the extra layer of indirection?

Well...we could do that but potentially lose some safety if someone
passes an already-cancelled pending call or one for a different proxy
in.

Personally, I just want to get the API change in as soon as possible,
and leave optimizations/minor code cleanup until the major bugs/missing
features are fixed/implemented.