System to user activation

Ruben Vermeersch ruben at Lambda1.be
Fri Jul 8 00:50:07 EST 2005

Hi guys,

I'm trying to do a system daemon to user client activation:

I have written a program called tempd, which monitors the temperature of
my laptop (Dell laptops include monitoring through a special module).
This daemon always runs, periodically checks the temperature and adjusts
the fans if necessary.

Now I want to add the following: If the temperature goes up too high,
the daemon fully throttles up the fans, I'd then like it to send out a
DBus signal, so that a program for the running desktop user gets
started, showing a notification icon, informing the user about the
temperature.

Is this possible through DBus activation, the tempd daemon will run as
root (or a special user), the notification program should be activated
as the logged in desktop user (in order to access the systray etc). Can
this be done? Are there documents about this?

I've been looking around for some documents, but given the in-motionness
(AFAICT) of DBus, there aren't much. Though I'm not a good writer, I've
been thinking of bundling everything in some kind of all-purpose guide
to DBus, once I grab hold of good DBus practices.

        Regards,
                Ruben

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)