Using glib-bindings to bind everyone else

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Jun 22 17:52:10 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 15:19 -0400, Daniel B. Faken wrote:
> ("one lib to bring them all and in the darkness bind them")
>
> This isn't really a specific DBus question, but it applies to developing
> bindings:
>   If GLib provides a "generic" object model in C, and is already bound in
> other languages (as I understand: Python, Mono/C#, Java, probably more),
> why write new bindings for those languages?
>   That is, why not just go through glib?

Other languages have 'better' native representations for some of the
D-BUS types than GLib does; for example a D-BUS STRUCT maps very nicely
to a Python tuple, and variants map to ordinary values.  That said, it
could make sense to base other language bindings on top of GLib once we
get support for custom marshalling/demarshalling.  The Python bindings
already use the GLib mainloop, for example.