Services calling back to clients

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Jun 27 12:00:37 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 14:59 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:

> Currently the binding signature goes:
>
> object, in_arg, ..., *out_arg, ..., *error
>
> If there was a context object to avoid excessive arguments the error
> could be part of the context.  Colin?

Taking a step back, it seems like what you really want in this case is a
bidirectional communication channel, but the bus semantics currently
only really provide unidirectional.

Maybe we could look at adding the concept of a "connection" to the bus?

But as a shorter term thing, one approach for getting the message
context would be to use thread-local variables.  Probably create an
opaque DBusGMethodContext struct, and have:

const DBusGMethodContext *dbus_g_method_get_context(void)
const char * dbus_g_method_context_get_sender (const DBusGMethodContext *)