Autosave D-BUS message?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jun 28 17:45:53 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 20:23 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Somewhat off topic, however, one thing to keep in mind is that this is
> all about getting apps (like Totem, Evolution, Thunderbird, KMail, GAIM,
> Kopete and so forth) to use such an interface, since if no apps is using
> the interface it's kind of worthless. Ideally, we'd have some kind of
> freedesktop.org document specifying this interface and it's semantics
> but I guess it's a bit little bit early in the game to go ahead and do
> that... the very first step in this process is to get the D-BUS protocol
> (and probably the core libdbus library too) to 1.0 :-)

Venturing a bit more offtopic for this list, it seems to me that we
should start from what the end user experience we want is, not what the
protocol should be.

Earlier you wrote:

> It is my view that to do this the right way you really need all the
> veto / timeout stuff (just emitting a signal as Sean proposes is not
> enough e.g. my IM or email client may take e.g. 10 seconds to
> synchronize and close connections) though keep in mind the proposal
> linked to is only a rough first sketch.

For the whole sleep thing, it seems to me that these apps need to handle
broken TCP connections gracefully anyways, since at any point I could
wander outside the range of my wireless net.  I understand why for sleep
you might want your IM client to tell your buddies you're away, but it's
really just for the benefit of your buddies, so the don't keep talking
to you thinking you're there.  It's not the end of the world if it
doesn't work.

An email client should just be synchronizing email in the background, no
user interaction required.  Moreover the email client should be watching
NetworkManager, so it knows to try to retrieve mail as soon as the
machine is back online after wakeup.