dbus on win32

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Wed Mar 2 10:16:20 PST 2005

Rob Taylor writes:
 > Out of interest (i'm working on a library that depends on dbus, and
 > would like to do a win32 port at some point..), how is the win32
 > port coming on?

I had it working, more or less, in the middle of January or
thereabouts. Then I went on to other stuff, ORBit2, libbonobo, etc. In
the meantime dbus has changed a lot, last time I built it (last week I
think) there were some problems, the regression tests didn't pass like
earlier. Once I get it working again I'll post to this list, and put
up something for download. After 0.30 has been released, I'll probably
start asking for permission to commit my changes.

BTW, would it be possible to change the "unix:" dbus address prefix to
"local" instead? Then it wouldn't look so out-of-place on Windows.

(There are no Unix domain sockets on Windows, but I fake it by using
(localhost-bound) normal TCP sockets, with the (random) port numbers
stored in a normal file which takes the place of the Unix domain
socket in the file system. The file is kept open and locked, so other
processes can only read it.)

--tml