D-Conf

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Fri Mar 4 07:50:16 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 16:13 +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> There already is a branch of GConf that uses D-BUS (and has been for a
> couple of years). It's currently up to date with the last 2.6.X release
> of GConf. Removing GLib from there sounds like a waste of time imho.

I understand as I really like glib too. I do fear, however, that KDE
developers wont even try to understand the dependency on glib.

And I know it sounds stupid and childish nor I understand why disliking
a dependency on glib makes sense. Honestly, IMHO it doesn't make sense
at all.

But I can already hear the kids whining: "D-Conf depends on glib so it
sucks". Not that, when they do, they technically understand what they
say.

Note that I wouldn't object if D-VFS would depend on glib either. I'd
even like it because of the excellent GObject infrastructure that could
be used.

My personal opinion is that these anti-dependency idiots are making sure
everybody will have to rewrite everything every time over and over
again. Just so they can say: "This is cool because this doesn't depend
on libwhatever".

Perhaps statically linking GConf might make the scary thoughts of those
poor anti-dependency idiots go away. Not that it would be much different
since else all those useful tools would have to be rewritten from
scratch anyhow.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org