D-BUS API and ABI (was: Re: ANNOUNCE: D-Bus - 0.31 released)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 10:04:37 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 12:37 +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:

> As for a deprecation framework, you can add attribute(deprecated) or
> similar if using gcc, which will generate compile-time warnings, and
> there's always the venerable:
> fprintf(stderr, "[dbus_pending_call_get_reply] THIS FUNCTION IS DEPRECATED YOU IDIOT\n");

It isn't this easy, because the functions are all interrelated, not
standalone. So when making a change and removing a function, usually the
function no longer makes sense (i.e. can't be made to work or easily be
made to work) with the new semantics or protocol or whatever.

If people are upset about ABI instability the solution is very simple.
The TODO for 1.0 is well-documented. It's in doc/TODO. It is not that
much work. Help plow through it.

In the meantime, we'll do sonames so the breakage is visible in package
management systems, but porting is required.