Reply messages never received in possibly odd use of D-BUS

David Eriksson twogood at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 19 13:07:18 PST 2005

Hi!

First of all, I'm still on D-BUS 0.22 on FC3, sorry about that! :-/

I am trying to create a system where clients can register themselves
with a daemon providing a D-BUS service, and then later get calls from
the daemon on a specific interface.

The daemon interface has a "Subscribe" method that uses
dbus_message_get_sender() to know where to make calls later.

Everything works fine _except_ when I try to send a reply (created with
dbus_message_new_method_return) from a client to the daemon. The reply
is never received by the daemon and I see this in dbus-monitor:

error name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied;
sender=org.freedesktop.DBus
string:A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected
message had interface "(unset)" member "(unset)" error name
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod" destination ":1.10")

I have no idea why I should get an "UnknownMethod" error!

It feels like I have tried everything in my dbus configuration file
(using the system bus btw) but the AccessDenied message suggests I
haven't.

Unless someone can pinpoint my error directly, I'll create a minimal
test case to reproduce this.

--
Regards,
               -\- David Eriksson -/-