Problems with mono bindings

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Mar 27 21:37:31 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 23:51 +0000, Adam Lofts wrote:

> - The bindings are too slow. All types are boxed and unboxed during
> transmission (although i don't think this is the only problem).

For what sort of application?

> - No access to raw dbus api

The raw dbus API is designed to be a "backend" for implementing
bindings, so exporting it in bindings doesn't really make sense...
nobody is going to write a binding using the Mono bindings. At least I
hope not.

If there's some use-case you have that requires raw access, then I think
the right approach is to bring it up and extend the bindings as
appropriate.

> If i carry keep working on my bindings (and they prove to be faster),
> would they be accepted into dbus? Would they require an identical API?
> Would i offend anyone in the process?

I don't think it makes sense to have two Mono bindings, let's instead
create one binding with all the good ideas incorporated. If you figure
out a better way then I'm sure people are open to it.