shtoom and dbus

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri May 6 04:43:44 PDT 2005

On Friday 06 May 2005 20:25, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> dbus supports a system (shared by root and all users) and a session bus
> (used by one user only). You may want to give some thought to which bus
> should be used for what. When you provide services over the system bus you
> should be careful that those services can't be abused for privilege
> escalation (compare to running a program suid root).

This would be the session bus, I think - I can't see any reason for the phone
connections to be over the system bus.

Hm. What about servers, though - does the session bus exist for users that
aren't running an X session? Is there a session bus per user? Or do I need to
start a dbus daemon for the user running the server?

Anthony