path name rules

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Oct 3 11:26:27 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 20:12 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> > > What is about '-'? This will make IEEE addresses more readable then
> > > using an underscore or non separator at all.
> >
> > There was a patch added that enabled '-' for bus names.  This has caused
> > some problems and I am almost tempted to revert it if it doesn't get
> > fixed or there was no compelling reason for adding it.  I am hesitant at
> > this stage in the game to add any spec changing code unless it is really
> > warranted.  Object paths are just implementation details and having them
> > be human readable especially when dynamically generating them is not all
> > that important.  More important is getting this stuff to 1.0.
>
> so let me get this straight. The current code will support '-' for path
> names? But you think about removing it before the 1.0 release?

Bus names not path names.  It was added to CVS without a patch hitting
the mailing list or bugzilla.  At least not one that I saw.  It causes
make check to fail as there are some bugs in the validation code.  I
will revert things if they don't look like they are going to get fixed.
I would rather not add spec changing features because they can cause
problems.  If there is a case to add them then I will gladly accept
patches for review but, the bar is set high at this point because we are
nearing a point where we can say this is 1.0 quality.  Little things are
just going to keep us from reaching that goal.