Signature length limit

Richard Hult richard at imendio.com
Tue Oct 18 02:33:53 PDT 2005

Hi,

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 12:03 +0200, Richard Hult wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I ran across the message signature length limit a while ago, when
>>passing an array with some nested structs in it. The length is 255
>>bytes, which seems like it's a bit small. Is there any real reason for
>>this or is it just an arbitrary limitation that we could bump up?
>

> Sounds good.  How big should we make it?  The biggest reason for the
> limits are so people don't spam the bus but most of the limits are
> arbitrary and not chosen from any analysis.

I'm not sure what a good length would be really. The max array length is
64M and the max message size is twice that, so the signature length will
probably be the limit that kicks in first and 255 feels a bit on the low
side. According to a comment in the code, the current limit is set to
make the size fit in a byte, how about making it two bytes and set the
limit to a K or two?

/Richard

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com/