Verbose builds slow

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Tue Oct 18 08:38:19 PDT 2005

Hi,

I just had a heart attack when I re-ran by benchmark and discovered that
what used to take 3 seconds now takes 9, and when I double the number of
iterations instead of taking 6 seconds now takes 58.

After some profiling and compiling by own DBus, I discovered that the
culprit here is the --enable-verbose flag, which Debian/Ubuntu have
enabled to get more information when dbus crashes.

Is the overhead from verbose mode supposed to be O(n^2)?  My benchmark
is frantically sending string arrays over the bus and the profiles show
that vsprintf() is being called 20% of the time in the daemon.  Should
using --enable-verbose cause a warning about the performance hit and be
removed from the Debian packages?

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com