reloading dbus system config

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 08:18:19 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 14:21 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I'm packaging avahi, and it installs a dbus file
> in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/. However, when it gets installed, startup
> fails, because dbus hasn't loaded this file. Is there a way to make dbus
> reload the system.d files?

dbus is supposed to be using dnotify to notice the change... apparently
it isn't working, or at least there's a race where it doesn't notice in
time for avahi to start up.

You could send -HUP manually, or you could debug the dnotify stuff...

I don't know how to avoid the race though if you start avahi in the rpm
post install... some kind of "block until dbus reloads config" feature I
guess but hard to figure how that works.