Inclusion of documentation in introspection data?

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 08:45:50 PDT 2005

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> I was thinking of adding it as an annotation.  In fact python can do
> this without spec changes if we want to.  We eventually wanted to have
> it so you could do print proxy_obj.__doc__ and get documentation.  The
> biggest problem is bandwidth.  Good documentation can easily become
> bigger than the introspect data itself.  Do we want to go down that
> road?

Yeah thats what we were thinking about too. You could perhaps add a
layer of indirection like an annotation which says there is
documentation available, and a method to request them by? Would allow
things to be a bit lazier, but would the Python bindings end up just
getting all the strings, just causing a load more bus round trips?

Regards,
Rob