Getting a list of object paths for a service ?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sat Sep 3 07:18:00 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:06:38AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 17:05 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > Is such information even known by the bus, or does it remain within the
> > client providing the service ? Looking at the impl of the function
> > dbus_connection_register_object_path() it doesn't look like details
> > about exported object paths are provided to the bus. Would it be worth
> > defining an common interface & object path at which bindings could
> > automatically provide this info on behalf of services ?
> >

> IIRC this is supposed to be provided by Introspect() i.e. the XML is
> supposed to contain a recursive node hierarchy. Maybe I never got around
> to coding it though.

The recursive node hierarchy allowed for by Introspect() is something
that has been troubling me a little. For efficiency I suspect most
bindings will cache the XML from the Introspect() call the first time
its invoked on an object, because for any single object its basically
static data. The trouble is, objects may conceivably pop in & out of
existance at any time. By allowing the Introspect XML to contain
child nodes, one is effectively mixing dynamic data (the tree of objects),
with static data (the API information), which ends up complicating
caching of the data. For objects exported with the Perl bindings, I
don't currently provide for adding data about child nodes in the
introspection XML of an object, since unless there are a huge number
of objects in use there's not going be a significant performance problem
calling Introspect() once on each individual object accessed.

Regards,
Dan.