Passing file descriptors over DBUS

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 11:22:22 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 10:15 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> The basic idea is to have the desktop initially in control of all input
> devices (hotplug can do its thing), be able to query the user as to
> whether to add them to the X server, and if so, then pass the open file
> descriptor to the X server.

Would it be simpler to have a socket or other filename for the device,
and just use dbus to coordinate/control who opens it at any given time?

Maybe the ORBit security model (put a randomly-generated filename in an
unreadable directory so it acts as a security cookie)?

Not that I've thought about it all that much, but pushing fds through
dbus is going to be a moderately complicated patch I think and also pose
interesting questions about what happens when connecting to the bus over
tcp.