Missing user bus?

Jakub Piotr Cłapa jpc at pld-linux.org
Sat Sep 24 08:25:07 PDT 2005

Robert McQueen wrote:
> This is more aimed at the cluster of machines problem, but it does bring
> something to mind - is there any sensible way that a system dbus daemon
> can be responsible for starting the user's bus and letting them get
> connected to it? I'm guessing not - it would sidestep the problems with
> /home being on the moon or people trying to race to /tmp etc, and
> replace them with worse problems by having a daemon which is root and
> becomes different users, and if it breaks lets people get each other's
> busses and stuff... its probably far worse.

The system bus could spawn a per-user bus daemon and then advertise it's
UNIX domain socket address (in the abstract namespace). The standard (as
in the session bus) authentication rules would then be used. The only
problem I can think of is the system bus running as root and spawning
user processes...

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa