Array-Size

staneker at gris.uni-tuebingen.de staneker at gris.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Apr 5 02:58:27 PDT 2006

> > ==7961== LEAK SUMMARY:
> > ==7961==    definitely lost: 302 bytes in 16 blocks.
> > ==7961==      possibly lost: 130 bytes in 4 blocks.
> > ==7961==    still reachable: 100,671,104 bytes in 59 blocks.
> > ==7961==         suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks.
> >
> > Still reachable is about 100MB?!? Does dbus internally copy
> > the array twice?
>
> dbus will copy it into the DBusMessage. That should be all though.

uh. is there an important reason, why dbus copies the data?

I am not sure, that transfering a lot of data is in the
scope of dbus, but if there is an extra function to append
fixed arrays to dbus, it would be nice for performance to
avoid an additional copy of the array data. But maybe I
should search the archives about that topic...

> Most of the bindings create an extra copy into their native data type,
> though.

Ok, but I think this is not necessary if you are using only
C-arrays (vectors)...

> If you track it down to a bug, let us know... or provide a simple,
> compilable test case so someone can have a look.

Yes, I will provide some code soon. It is in a very
pre-alpha stage, but should simply compile and work for many
people...

Regards, Dirk