Win32 port

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Apr 10 16:13:26 PDT 2006

Kosina, Martin wrote:
> Greetings,

For various reasons, I also have an interest in seeing d-bus reach Windows.

> Re: unix socket workaround, one idea (Tor went down this road as well,
> as far as I can tell) was to create pseudo-sockets by sharing custom TCP
> port numbers via files, then falling back on calling the TCP transport
> as loopback. This works for an initial port, but should probably be
> replaced by some more direct native IPC, like named pipes or
> memory-mapped files.

My windows programming is very rusty, but what's wrong with named pipes?  I
remember reading about them way back, and can't see how they differ greatly from
Unix sockets.  I checked up on MSDN recently, and they seemed powerful enough,
even including a "message" mode, treating each write as a whole unit, instead of
just a byte stream.

What am I missing?

--
Curtis Maloney