Win32 port

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Tue Apr 11 04:09:02 PDT 2006

Kosina, Martin wrote:
>New to the list, so I wanted to say "hi" to all. We are working on a
>Win32 port of dbus for an in-house distributed agent project, but hoping
>to eventually contribute patches back to the community. We have a basic
>Windows (NT+) DLL for libdbus now,

Hello Martin

welcome to the list! I'm glad to hear that you're going to work on Win32
support, both as a Trolltech developer and a KDE developer. We are
interested in seeing this happen but have been unable, so far, to
dedicate any resources to the task.

>Re: unix socket workaround, one idea (Tor went down this road as well,
>as far as I can tell) was to create pseudo-sockets by sharing custom TCP
>port numbers via files, then falling back on calling the TCP transport
>as loopback. This works for an initial port, but should probably be
>replaced by some more direct native IPC, like named pipes or
>memory-mapped files.

As for the replacement of Unix sockets, I asked in the office if anyone
knew of a suitable replacement. The best approximation are named pipes,
but they are available in Windows 2000 and up, only.

I don't know what your requirements are, though.

Also, I remember we hadn't reached a consensus in the office on how the
security model on Win32 should be. Should Windows be considered a
multi-user system? If isn't, then we might as well have one, well-known
address for the session bus, just like the system bus (and those can be
TCP).

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway